Monday, February 7, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers

Jala jala peno!

2 Christmases ago, Troy and I were invited over to lunch with a family we know from our church, the Longs, and they introduced us to this wonderful delicacy - jalapeno poppers. Once we had one bite, we were hooked. We have made these lovely appetizers for every occasion.... literally. We made them for football games, his 30th birthday, the Superbowl, Thanksgiving and well, any occasion we can think of like Saturday afternoons, random Tuesday evenings, etc.



You should pick jalapenos that are firm, smooth and not too big.

Ingredients:
15 jalapeno peppers
1 eight ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1 package of bacon, cut in half (your favorite will do)
1 twelve ounce package of ground sausage
30 toothpicks

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Brown sausage in a pan on medium high heat.
3. Drain the grease and put sausage in a medium bowl. Add the softened cream cheese and mix together.
4. Now comes the fun part. Cut the stems off the jalapenos and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove all of the seeds. I've never done this before but I heard that you can fill your sink up with water and remove the seeds under water and the sting of the jalapeno won't be as strong. Don't touch your eyes after cutting and de-seeding (is that a word?) the jalapenos... you'll regret it immediately.
5. Let the stuffing begin! Stuff each jalapeno equally with the sausage/cream cheese mixture.
6. Wrap each jalapeno tightly with the halved bacon slice and secure with a toothpick.
7. Spray a baking sheet or two with PAM and fill with delicious jalapeno poppers. Bake for 15 or 20 minutes. After ten or so minutes, you will hear the crackling of the bacon and the smell will fill the room.
8. Take out and enjoy.


Beware. After you get addicted to these, you will want to throw jalapenos on anything - pizza, pastas, tacos, enchiladas, whatever. These are super easy to make and don't require many ingredients but can just be a little time consuming. Impress your friends and enjoy these yummy appetizers!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely heaven on earth. Also, will help you get to heaven quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you didn't know what a rolling boil was? Look how far you've come! Troy is so freaking lucky and I'm uber jealous of him. I have to compliment your delightful blogging skills too. I read some blogs and I go out of my mind will all the horrible grammar and overall poor writing skills. Even though we did our project together I didn't realize you had such a knack for writing! I love the little intro to the reciepe. While I won't be trying this, because I'm such a wimp, I am looking forward to trying the bread. Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy-hahahahah

    Krista- hahaha yes, but thanks to your inspiring husband I know what a rolling boil is! We will make you some bread when you come down here! I can't wait. I'd do that senior thesis project all over again if it meant being with you... oh, and getting a Starbucks gift card for first place ;)

    ReplyDelete