Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sausage Manicotti

Hmm... pasta.... it seems to be the recurring theme around our house ESPECIALLY when we have guests or visitors. It's hard to go wrong with a wonderful filling pasta. It is a little tedious to make but is well worth the effort. Troy knows this recipe from heart so he usually takes the lead when making it. He's pretty much a pro and can simultaneously brown the sausage, boil the noodles, prepare the pans, etc. We make a ton of this so I can bring extras for my lunches at work. I swear it tastes even better the next day. Make it for a special occasion or for a lovely Sunday afternoon lunch.

It won't disappoint.

Ingredients:
1 lb of Italian sausage (sweet, mild or hot is fine)
16 oz of mozzarella cheese (I prefer the shredded kind and my husband prefers the brick)
16 oz of ricotta
1 package of manicotti shells
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 1/2 jars 26 oz marinara sauce
PAM
fresh basil (as much or as little as you like, torn into small pieces)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Brown Italian sausage into small pieces then drain grease. Put into a medium sized bowl.
3. Bring large pot of water to rolling boil for manicotti shells. Boil shells for ten minutes. Then drain.
4. In the bowl, add ricotta, 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, garlic, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning and basil. Stir until evenly mixed.
5. Use 3/4 jar sauce to create a bed for shells in two lightly greased baking pans.
6. Stuff mixture into shells. Then place shells in sauce beds.
7. Use remaining sauce to cover shells and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Remove, cover tops of shells with final 8 oz of mozzarella.
9. Cook five minutes, or until mozzarella is melted. Yum! Don't those look mouth watering?

Take out and enjoy!

The shells get slick and sometimes they tear but don't worry, just stuff as usual and place the torn part face down on the pan. It will still taste the same, I promise. Just recently we started to add different condiments like red pepper, garlic and basil. You don't have to add any of those and it will still taste delicious. The basil gives it some color and delightful flavor.

Once you make this, you'll be hooked.

8 comments:

  1. I am impressed by your awesome cooking skills
    ;-)

    I will definitely be making this recipe at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good! You have to make it! And add some bread and it's perfect! We made it for Ben Johnson when he was here last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I make it for Mel I call it manicotti................................................for my hottie.

    Also, shoutout to my boy Matt Bowen for getting us started in the world of manicotti.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can delete this once you read it... but, I noticed you went to Southeastern. That's where my hubs went... what year did you graduate? (meems)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meems!
    I graduated in May of 2009. When did your husband graduate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. August 2008... I wonder if you guys ever crossed paths. I asked if he knew you (by your maiden name), and he said "Name not familiar, face is."
    He was in FX at Southeastern until 2008, studied Church Ministries and a minor in music.
    Big fluffy beard, wears a fedora everywhere and probably beat on a lot of things randomly (drummer).

    ReplyDelete
  7. hm..... interesting! What's your last name? Do you have facebook? I'll stalk you guys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am going to have to try this! It looks really yummy! By the way, I'm nikkit3 from the Fishbowl. :)

    ReplyDelete